Monday, September 27, 2010

New Family Traditions

Yesterday, we were invited to our daughter and son-in-law's for dinner. Of course, family dinner on Sunday isn't something new. We've tried to eat together as a family at least once a week in the past, but driving to my daughter and her husband's home was a totally different experience.

When we arrived, the table was set beautifully, and the new couple were working away in the kitchen together. Evan LOVES to cook and takes it very seriously. I asked if I could help in any way, and they both told me to just sit and relax. Wow. Someone pinch me!

Their home is coming together so beautifully. I enjoyed seeing how they are hanging things on the walls and decorating everything.

Soon they called us to the table, and after Evan said a touching blessing, we ate the most delicious meal. An awesome salad, sauteed spinach, salmon with some type of spicy tomato topping, wild rice and delicious rolls. Personally I think Evan should become a professional chef. Lacey said he does most of the cooking, and he's very gifted at it. I have never eaten salmon in my life, and it was delicious!

We finished the night with dessert (I made Evan's favorite pineapple cake and brought it with us), watched a movie and then said our goodnights. Lacey insisted I did not have to help clean up the kitchen. I carried things to the kitchen, and put some things away, but she told me, "Mom, I've got this." :-)

On our way home, my husband and I talked about how quickly life changes. Family dinners are going to look different now, but they are still such an important part of our life! The family is growing and stretching it's wings, and traditions may be changing their look just a bit.... but the one thing that remains the same, is that God has blessed us tremendously, and for that we are so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment